As with all financial transactions, please exercise discretion when using an automated teller machine ("ATM") or night deposit facility. For your own safety, be careful. The following suggestions may be helpful.
ATM/Night Deposit User Precautions
1. Prepare for your transactions at home (for instance, by filling out a deposit slip) to minimize your time at the ATM or night deposit facility.
2. Mark each transaction in your account record, but not while at the ATM or night deposit facility. Always save your ATM receipts. Don't leave them at the ATM or night deposit facility because they may contain important account information.
3. Compare your records with the account statements you receive.
4. Don't lend your ATM card to anyone.
5. Remember, do not leave your card at the ATM. Do not leave any documents at night deposit facility.
6. If you lose your ATM card or if it is stolen, promptly notify us. You should consult the other disclosures you have received about electronic fund transfers for additional information about what to do if your card is lost or stolen.
7. Protect the secrecy of your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Protect your ATM card as though it were cash. Don't tell anyone your PIN. Don't give anyone information regarding your ATM card or PIN over the telephone. Never enter your PIN in any ATM that does not look genuine, has been modified, has a suspicious device attached, or is operating in a suspicious manner. Don't write your PIN where it can be discovered. For example, don't keep a note of your PIN in your wallet or purse.
8. Prevent others from seeing you enter your PIN by using your body to shield their view.
9. Don't accept assistance from anyone you don't know when using an ATM or night deposit facility.
10. When you make a transaction, be alert to your surroundings. Look out for suspicious activity near the ATM or night deposit facility, particularly if it is after sunset. At night, be sure the facility (including the parking area and walkways) is well lighted. Consider having someone accompany you when you use the facility, especially after sunset. Defer your transaction if circumstances cause you to be apprehensive for your safety. You might consider using another ATM of night deposit facility.
11. If you notice anything suspicious or if any other problem arises after you have begun an ATM transaction, you may want to cancel the transaction, pocket your card and leave. You might consider using another ATM or coming back later.
12. Please be sure to close any entry door completely upon entering and exiting the ATM or night depository facility. Do not permit any unknown persons to enter the facility after regular banking hours.
13. Don't display your cash; place withdrawn cash securely upon your person before exiting the ATM. Count the cash later when you are in the safety of your own car, home, or other secure surrounding.
14. At a drive-up facility, make sure all the car doors are locked and all of the windows are rolled up, except the driver's window. Keep the engine running and remain alert to your surroundings.
15. We want the ATM and night deposit facility to be safe and convenient for you. The activity of the automated teller machine facility may be recorded by a surveillance camera or cameras. Please tell us if you know of any problem with a facility. For instance, let us know if a light is not working of there is any damage to the facility. Please use the nearest available public telephone to call the police if emergency assistance is needed. Direct complaints concerning ATM facility security to our security department of the New York Banking Department at the phone numbers listed below.
New York Banking Department
Consumer Services Hotline